January 31, 2012

A Teacher of Hope


As much as I'd like to stay and work here, I'd like to first teach the children of my own Iban + Bidayuh tribes who are often forgotten in the education stream and sometimes, do not even know what a school is. People here complain about working hard, but what I can say is that there are other people who work harder than them and still do not receive a tenth of what they here received. I've talked about Malaysian schools (in terms of facilities and resources) in one of the British classes and at the end there was silence, not the awkward silence but the one with pity and sympathy, which later continued with twirling of hairs, putting on lipsticks, battling of heavy eyelashes and the teacher's repetitive complaints of "Stop being silly." Some people are just born lucky, we can't argue that. What we can do is, to try to reach out for those who are born underprivileged. Your hands could be their only hope, and hope could be what they dreamed of everyday. I know, because these children are me, sometime in the past. 


3 comments:

  1. you go Miss Clare! haha.. I recommend you to watch this movie "Beyond The Blackboard". It's a good movie. They play it in DIVA channel. Usually, cdak ulang2 movie ya but have no idea when they will play it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there, Kak Clare. I've sent my request on FB. Happy to help you on anything ^^

    ReplyDelete